My Grandpa was a very kind, generous man and always had a story for everything! He was born Jewish and his family was from Latvia and Russia – which, interestingly enough, is where our red hair comes from. He married my Grandma, a devout Irish Catholic (scandalous!), and they had seven children with my Mom being the oldest. (Ok, I’m sure we have some ancestors from Ireland with red hair too – it is a recessive gene after all).
Matt and I were able to go down to Florida to visit him this past November and I’m so thankful that we were able to spend some time with him and his second wife, Anne June. We had a lovely trip, ate out at a couple restaurants, ate Subway for lunch (because they must have their Subway sandwiches!), went to the local farmers market and even visited the local manatee museum.
View on our way to Grandpa and Anne June's condo
Having fun at the manatee museum
By this point Grandpa had found a friend and was busily chatting away. Matt and I kept ourselves entertained by taking pictures with this enormous manatee behind us.
| Grandpa and Anne June, November 2010 |
While Matt and I are not overly religious (although we hope to find a church for our family and side note – why does it seem so difficult to find a church, it’s almost like a job interview…), I printed Psalm 31.24 last year and have kept it on my nightstand:
“Be of good courage, and He shall
Strengthen your heart, all ye that
Hope in the Lord”
While there are thousands of quotes from the bible, I love the pure simplicity of this psalm and how it can apply to every moment of your life. We know Grandpa is no longer in pain and is in a much better place and we will see him again!
Lovely post and I will always remember his kind smile.
ReplyDeleteJill, I'm so sorry for your loss...that is great that you and Matt had a chance to spend some time with him last year!
ReplyDelete